Friday, May 6, 2011

Christian

I am a Christian. That doesn’t mean I think I am better then anyone. It doesn’t mean I know everything there is to know about God; that I’m always going to say the right things; make the right choices; that my life is boring. It doesn’t mean that there is going to be nothing but smooth sailing from now on, that I’m excluded from pain. It doesn’t even mean I go a particular church with a certain set of rules.

What it does mean is that I am a follower of Jesus Christ. As a follower I have chosen by faith to accept He, Jesus Christ, is God incarnate. I have chosen to die to myself. Knowing I can’t accomplish the killing of self without Him. As a result I have to daily commit to spending time with Him to get to know Him. Trust him to replace my wrong thinking with His truth allowing the truth to transform my thoughts and life. I have to let go of my selfishness, my need for control, as well as my need to know what tomorrow will bring.
.
When I’m hurt by others I have to ask Him to help me to forgive as He has forgiven me. When life doesn’t go my way I have to ask Him for patience and guidance as I learn to wait for what He has planned for me. I have to learn to let go of my self and put others first. I have to learn to love like he does to see others like he does and treat others like He would.

Being a Christian doesn’t mean circumstances never get hard. What it does mean is I don’t have to face them on my own strength. I don’t have to let my circumstances define who I am because God is taking care of things. I don’t have to carry my burdens at all because God has told me He would take them from me. I don’t have to depend on my limited abilities because God has placed the Holy Spirit within me to do the work.
I can be myself because He created me and knows everything about me.

I have to do is trust, obey and seek Him with all of my heart. He knows I will stumble and He will always be there to pick me up.

No comments: